Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Making New Friends

Today was my first day back at work after the 4th Holiday, and it only took me until 9:30am to decide that I should take another day of vacation.  Leaving the office, the sun was shining, it was warm but not hot, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  I decided to take the GTI to Reid Vann to have the brakes flushed and bled.  This is one of those jobs I could have done myself in the garage, but would require either another person or a pump.  Having neither, and feeling lazy, I decided to check out this shop that I'd heard such good things about.

Reid Vann earned his doctorate in electrical engineering at Washington University, and at some point in his life opened his auto shop, which specializes in Porsche, Audi, VW, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and Range Rover repair, but I'd bet he could fix any car you brought in.  The shop is a modern, well finished number, apparently a former Steak and Shake that was reborn as an auto shop.  It is just east of the intersection of Manchester and Rock Hill, and can be spotted by the large number of vintage Porsches in the parking lot.

Upon arrival, I was greeted quickly by Liz Vann and her sidekick, Bella the Boston Terrier.  Both Bella and Liz were enthusiastic and happy to see me, and both promptly introduced themselves.  Though the front lot was fairly full, Liz said they'd be able to get me in for a "waiter", and she immediately found one of the crew to see to my service needs.  

Soon thereafter, my GTI was wheeled around the rear of the bay for service.  As I browsed the immense selection of AutoWeek, DuPont Registry, Quattro (the Audi Club Publication), Panorama ( the Porsche Club Publication), and Star (the Mercedes Club publication), I mentioned to Liz that this was my first visit to the facility.  She offhandedly mentioned  the first thing I had noticed when entering, a small showroom filled with early Porsche 356s.   I asked a few knowledgeable questions regarding the cars, and before I knew it, she was inviting me back to pull the covers off a few of them and get a better look.

For those of you who don't know, the Porsche 356 was Porsche's first production model.   All of the cars in this shot are Porsche 356A models, built between 1955 and 1959, The red in the right forefront being a Carrera Speedster, the forefront left under the cover is a 1958 Cabriolet in Meissen Blue with red leather interior (stunning!), the white in the mid-ground is another Speedster,  the silver in the background is a Carrera Moonroof Coupe.  Out of this shot to the right is a 1600 Super Moonroof Coupe.  All are rare, desirable cars and not often seen.   Liz seemed thrilled that a customer in anything but a classic Porsche seemed interested in discussing the cars, and was very generous in both her time and allowing me a closer look.

My brake flush was finished in about an hour from my arrival, which is quite reasonable for a walk-in, and they charged me exactly half of what the dealership quoted me for the same work,  using the exact same fluid and tools. 

I would recommend a visit to Reid Vann to anyone, if for nothing else than to  meet some great car people, who welcomed me into their shop with unusually good hospitality, warmth, and enthusiasm.  I can't wait for my next maintenance interval!

No comments:

Post a Comment